Velocity Header

Up to Velocimeters - profiling

Velocity Header

Posted by mahsa ghazian arabi at May 06. 2017

Hi all, 

I have a problem with Vectrino Profiler, It says that velocity header is not received (possible dropped). I attached a screenshot to this message and the Velocity Header part did not show any thing. Could anyone help me with this problem?  

Attachments

Re: Velocity Header

Posted by Robert Craig at May 08. 2017

There are a few things which could cause this.  The most likely cause is CPU overload on your computer which results in data getting dropped.  With that in mind, I've got a few questions.

Which version of software / firmware are you using?

Does this happen consistently, occasionally, or it it a one time thing?

Do you see other data getting dropped during data collection or is it just the velocity header?

What baud rate are you using?

Do you have other compute intensive applications running at the same time as you're collecting data?

As a side note,the velocity header contains noise information which is used to calculate the SNR, so any data files collected that don't contain a velocity header won't have valid SNR data present.

Robert Craig.

Posted by mahsa ghazian arabi at May 09. 2017

Thank you very much for your response. It's my first time that I want to check the instrument and its probe. It didn't show anything logical. I think it's the last version since I cannot upgrade to any newer one. I just ran the profiler and there wasn't any other program running simultaneously. The CPU of my computer is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @3.2 GHz. What size CPU do we need to run the profiler?

Posted by Robert Craig at May 09. 2017

That CPU should be fine, so it must be something else.

To get the version number of the firmware,  open the configuration menu, go to the system tab and let me know the Version and Revision shown.  For the software, do a Help: About and let me know the version.

To go back to the other questions:

Does this happen all the time, occasionally or was it a one time thing?  If it happens all the time, after it happens, open the configuration menu, right click on the blank space to the right to bring up the auxiliary menu, "Get system log" and attach it for me to take a look at.  Also, if you go into the installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Nortek\Vectrino Profiler), if you can send the .log files in that directory that might also help.

Do you see other data getting dropped during data collection or is it just the velocity header?

Robert Craig.

Posted by mahsa ghazian arabi at May 10. 2017

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your help. I attached a screenshot for Version and Revision. it didn't show anything for revision part.

Unfortunately it happens all the time.

I cannot save the log file,When I want to save the log file, The program stop suddenly, and when I want to save the log file when the data was capturing, An error pops up. I also attached the screenshot of error.

I couldn't find any log file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nortek\Vectrino Profiler. I also attached  a screenshot of  C:\Program Files (x86)\Nortek\Vectrino Profiler. Hope it can help.

Appreciate your help.

Best,

Mahsa

Attachments

Posted by Robert Craig at May 10. 2017

Hi Mahsa:

I can see where you've gone wrong now.  You're connecting to the simulated instrument (SIM), not the real hardware.  The SIM connection lets try out the software without having any hardware present.

Real hardware uses a COM port.  If you're not seeing any COMx ports in the Serial Port drop down box (or none of the ports work), then you should make sure that the USB-Serial port is properly connected to your computer.

Just for information, your computer is set up not to show extensions for known"file extensions, so the out0.log file doesn't show the ".log" extension.

Robert.

Posted by mahsa ghazian arabi at Friday 00:37

Thank you for your help. Actually I tried COM port but as you can see in the attachment it says that "No instrument detected on port". I also attached some of the picture . maybe I am wrong in connecting the hardware. I don't know where should I connect the blue and green wire. Maybe it was the problem.

Appreciate your help and time.

Attachments

Posted by mahsa ghazian arabi at Friday 00:45

Hi Robert,

Actually I made a mistake in connecting the power. And now it works and connects. Thank alto for your helps.

Best,

Mahsa