Integration of a vectrino in LabVIEW

Up to System integration and telemetry

Integration of a vectrino in LabVIEW

Posted by Tobias Biesenbach at July 27. 2011

Hello, I try to built up a automatic traverse system for a vectrino. For this case I want to know how I can introduce a communication between the Vectrino and the program LabVIEW.

Once the traverse reached the position in the fluid the vectrino should start metering over a curtain time of period and store the data for further applications.

Please notice that I just started to solve the task and that I am a student with a small basic knowledge  ;)

Thanks

Re: Integration of a vectrino in LabVIEW

Posted by P.J. Rusello at July 27. 2011

Hi Tobias,

Please take a look at our System Integrator Manual available here: http://www.nortekusa.com/en/support/application-development

It should address most of what you need to know to perform this integration.

P.J.

Posted by Sicco Kamminga at July 27. 2011

Hi Tobias,

Wageningen University has developed LabView code for use with the Vectrino. I'll ask them to contact you.

Best regards,

Sicco

Posted by Tobias Biesenbach at August 01. 2011

Hi Sicco,

it would be very nice to have a look on their solution. Looking forward to get news from you.

Thank you,

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Biesenbach at August 01. 2011

Previously Sicco Kamminga wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Wageningen University has developed LabView code for use with the Vectrino. I'll ask them to contact you.

Best regards,

Sicco

Hi Sicco,

it would be very nice to have a look on their solution. Looking forward to get news from you.

Thank you,

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Biesenbach at August 10. 2011

Hello, I have got a reply from the vectrino at the LabVIEW platform. But now I don't know how to decode the ASCII/ binary Data for further application in LabVIEW. In the system-integrator-manual it is spoken of a DLL or OCX implementation.

But I don't find anything here to download such a implementation, is it available here?

Thanks, Tobias

Posted by Jonas Røstad at August 11. 2011

Dear Tobias,

I know Marius has answered you by e-mail, but for the others of you that may have should need, here is the essence of the reply.

We have an ActiveX control called PdCommX that you may install and use for free.  This and a small LabView example is available upon request.

Please be aware that both the PdCommX and the example are unsupported. You may of course send us an email but cannot guarantee anything.

Best regards

Jonas Røstad

Posted by Tobias Biesenbach at August 22. 2011

Dear Jonas,

Thank you for your great service, it safed a lot of effort.

Convey my greeting to Marius.

Best regards

Tobias

Posted by Sebastian Rötzer at December 04. 2012
Previously Sicco Kamminga wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Best regards,

Sicco

Hello Sicco.

I am currently working on the system integration of the Vectrino into LabView for my University. Could you send me a contact or the name of the department at Wageningen University that already implemented this? Since I am facing some major obstacles here I'd be grateful for every input.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Posted by Sebastian Bader at March 27. 2014

Dear Jonas,

I am facing some similiar problems as Tobias. Would it be possible to provide the contact data of Marius or one of his colleagues to ask them for hints and the PdCommX / LabView example?

Would be just great!

Thanks a lot in advance, best regards,

Sebastian

Previously Jonas Røstad wrote:

Dear Tobias,

I know Marius has answered you by e-mail, but for the others of you that may have should need, here is the essence of the reply.

We have an ActiveX control called PdCommX that you may install and use for free.  This and a small LabView example is available upon request.

Please be aware that both the PdCommX and the example are unsupported. You may of course send us an email but cannot guarantee anything.

Best regards

Jonas Røstad

Posted by Jonas Røstad at March 31. 2014

Dear Sebastian

The PdCommX available at our web site is not developed for Vectrino Profilers. However, there is an integrator's manual supplied with the Vectrino Profiler software and the necessary libraries are included in a standard install.

Best regards

Jonas Røstad

Posted by Sebastian Bader at May 08. 2014

Hello - it`s me again,

I did some research and found some great help. But still I am havin major problems even establishing a connection between the Vectrino probe and LabView via USB-Serial-Adapter (Altronix AL 310). I can send commands to the Vectrino and even let the red light blink (so that means there is something sent to the Vectrino, right?) - but I won`t get any answer or green light.

Could there be problems in the way LabView tries to establish a communication (I am using the VISA VIs)? Could it be because of the RS-422 interface (instead of RS 232? By the way: In the end, do I need to send ASCII or Hex commands to the Vectrino?

Hope you have some hints...

Best regards,

Sebastian

Posted by Robert Craig at May 08. 2014

Hi Sebastien:

The USB-Serial adaptor should show up as a simple COM port to your application, so the fact that it's RS-422 doesn't matter. 

For the Vectrino Profiler, all commands are encapsulated in a binary header (See sections 2.4 and 4.1 (protocol header) of the Integrators Guide). All 8 bytes of the header (including the calculated checksum) must be sent for the command to be recognized by the instrument. If you want to make sure that your baud rate is correct, the instrument prints an identification string when first powered on.  You should also verify correct operation using the supplied software to make sure that the hardware and computer are communicating correctly.

Robert Craig.

Posted by Graziano De Capua at January 20. 2015

Dear Tobias,

Best regards

Jonas Røstad

Dear Jonas,
How can I have the activeX and the examples too? I tried all software on your website but didn't find anything about. Please let me know.

Thank you!

Posted by Florian Birkner at December 14. 2016

Dear Jonas

I am basicly trying to do the same. Would it be possible to send me the Labview example?

Best Regards

Florian Birkner

Dear Tobias,

Best regards

Jonas Røstad

Posted by Elin Bondevik at December 20. 2016

Hi Florian,

Please send us an email (at support@nortek.no) and we will send you the relevant information for downloading

Best regards
Elin

Posted by Anil Kizilaslan at October 25. 2017

Dear Sir

I want to connect the Vectrino to NI-DAQ ( NI USB 6343 series ) and will configure the velocity in LabVIEW or NI MAX and I want to read velocity data only along the X direction from the vectrino but 

I do not know how to connect the Vectrino to NI-DAQ instrument . by the way i am a student and know a little about the software and hardware connection .

if this work is possible please inform me and i would like to say thanks for the information 

the best regard